March 23, 2013

Michael Petruccelli asks; What are some tips for giving your credit score a boost? (11)



Michael Petruccelli says;  While it won’t always work, here’s a sample letter:
August 19, 2010
Sally Sample
123 Maple Street
Anytown, USA 12345
BankCard Services
PO Box 12345
Wilmington, DE 12345
Regarding: MasterCard account #1234-4567-8910
Dear People,
As you know, I have been a loyal customer of your company for more than seven years. Over that time period, I have received many offers from other companies for credit cards with lower interest rates or other terms that were more attractive, yet I’ve remained with your company.
I recently obtained a copy of my Equifax credit report and was dismayed to learn that your company has reported that I made two late payments four years ago. I’m writing today to ask you to have this negative information removed from my credit history. Having become conversant with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, I’ve learned that this is easily accomplished.
As you are well aware, my record of paying on time is unblemished with those two exceptions. Since even one negative item in my credit history is one too many, please repay my loyalty and responsibility by helping me have these items removed.
Thank you in advance for your timely response. I look forward to continuing our mutually beneficial relationship for many years to come.
Sincerely,
Sally Sample